Thursday, April 11, 2013

Asbestos or not asbestos..that is the question.

Well after my little water leakage disaster in our living room the other day what I thought was going to be a simple insurance claim and a small section of the ceiling would be repaired has now turned into a major claim!!

Had a very nice man come round the other day and do an asbestos test because the insurance company were worried that we could have it due to the age of house (43yrs old). Well I had convinced myself that it would be okay and that we would only need a portion of the ceiling repaired. Mainly because I was not looking forward to having to clear out all my furniture etc from a 24ft lounge and store it somewhere.

Well guess what? I have to remove all my stuff and stick it in a storage unit outside the house - we have asbestos in all our ceilings now. So the whole lot has to be removed and a new ceiling has to be done. Well obviously not a whole ceiling as the joists will still be there, but the main bit of the ceiling. Oh joy!!! Still it will give me an excuse to clean the nets/curtains..lol And I can then clean the carpet with the carpet cleaner seeing as the furniture won't be in the living room.

Was just talking to my neigbour friend and we were laughing about the workmen coming in suited up with hasmat suits so they don't get any asbestos on them. Actually the more I think about it the more ludicrous it sounds, although if they did this could you imagine what my neighbours would say.. Cripes they would all be horrified and probably think all sorts of weird and wonderful things. It will be bad enough having the van outside with Asbestos removal written all over it..lol Queue major panic from the householders in the road, well those that aren't aware they have it in the artexed ceilings..

So anyway I am leaving all the instructions to Dave to tell the assessor guy because I wouldn't be able to do this. Knowing me I would agree to anything..lol

Wonder if I will have to remove the shelving units on the walls ? Hmmm!!!

No comments:

Asbestos or not asbestos..that is the question.

Well after my little water leakage disaster in our living room the other day what I thought was going to be a simple insurance claim and a s...